Innovation to Inclusion (i2i) is a three-year DFID-funded project based in Bangladesh and Kenya(Nairobi, Mombasa and Kisumu). The project purposes to address key challenges persons with various disabilities experience in accessing economic opportunities and waged employment. Aiming to improve access to employment in the private sector for people with disabilities.
Disabled Persons Organizations Involvement in i2i Activities
Under the i2i project, DPOs capacities will be built to provide evidence-based information relating to existing gaps and opportunities for employment and retention of Persons with Disabilities .
the project will also engage grassroots DPOs in disability awareness and champion for inclusive local government structures including the devolved units (counties, sub-counties, wards) to develop and or implement programs and services that are responsive to the needs and aspirations of persons with disability.
Who is involved
i2i is delivered through a consortium. Led by Leonard Cheshire.Partners include:
- explore innovative market-based interventions to improve livelihoods and autonomy for women and men with disabilities, through collaboration with traditional and non-traditional partners;
- generate data and evidence to further understanding of whether persons with disabilities are benefiting from economic opportunities;
- promote sustained inclusive economic employment for persons with disabilities, particularly women
- working with DPOs to strengthen their mandate as champions for the rights of people with disabilities through capacity building on data-driven advocacy.
The project will utilize tested and validated approaches and interventions to promote access to waged employment of persons with disability by borrowing from sharing experiences between the two implementing countries-Kenya and Bangladesh
Organization of persons with disabilities involved
Supported by implementing partners, including:
- Disabled People’s Organisations (DPOs) in Bangladesh and Kenya(Udpk(United Disabled Persons of Kenya), Tinada, Kub(Kenya Union of The Blind), Kpo(Kenya paraplegic Organization), VOB(Vision of The Blind)Wcc(Women Challenged to Challenge), Ask(Albinism Society of Kenya), Dek(Deaf Empowerment Kenya), Cpsk(Cerebral Palsy Society of Kenya) and Edan(Ecumenical Disability Advocates Network))
- Local NGOs in Bangladesh and Kenya
- Technology and software companies
- Private companies,
- Relevant government agencies in Bangladesh and Kenya
- Academic institutions in Bangladesh and Kenya.
INNOVATION TO INCLUSION(i2i): ACTIVITIES
We did data collection regarding Employment of persons with disabilities and social protection relating to Article 27 and 28 on the UNCRPD. The idea is to have advocacy driven by data and evidence.
We collected data on laws, programs and policies in Kenya and how they relate to UNCRPD and their implementation. We developed reports on the same
DPOs were involved in the i2i Initiative held a week long workshop crafting a data driven advocacy strategy on engaging stakeholders on issues regarding Employment and work and social protection for persons with disabilities .As relates to UNCRPD article 27 and 28.
INNOVATION TO INCLUSION(i2i): IECs and DOCUMENTS
- Policy Brief On Social Protection
- Report (Laws and Policies) on Social Protection and Employment in Kenya
SEND US AN EMAIL
Kindly reach out to us with any feedback, it might be qusetions,clarifications,follow-ups or just general information.
We appreciate your feedback