UDPK supported the Ministry of Education to formulate, finalize and enact the Sector Policy for Learners and Trainees with Disabilities,The policy puts forth guidelines on how education system should be stuctured in order to accomodate learners and trainees with disabilities.This measures include adaptive carriculum to address the perceived Gaps on the current carriculum.Issues to do with reasonable accomodation where the new teaching blocks been put up in schools they have to be accomodative to learners with disability.The existing building need to be reasonably altered to cater for learneres with special needs.The overriding idea is to practice intergartion instead of developing and maintaining special needs schools for learners with disabilities. .
UDPK actively monitors the implementation of Sector Policy for Learners and Trainees with disabilities and its implementation guidelines through:
- Holding joint review meetings to evaluate the process and challenges encountered by various agencies in implementation of the policy
- Support Meetings of Technical Working Group(TWG)Inclusive Education Sub-commitee.TWG playskey role in monitoring the implementation of the policy
- Training of Education Shareholders and EARCs
- ensuring participation of communities and involve persons with disabilities
Advocacy,Capacity building and Sensitization of teachers and other education sector shareholders on Inclusive Education issues Vis a vis the right of persons with disabilities in ted-em with Protocols,laws ,policies and other legislation such as UNCRPD,Education Sector Policy(Learners and trainees with disability),Constitution of Kenya 2010,Education Act among others
TRAINING/CAPACITY BUILDING ACTIVITIES:
(i) Training Teachers on Inclusive Education:Areas of Focus
UDPK Engages teachers Ranging from the entry level,ECDE upto the Higher level to train them on issues concerning inclusive education and disability environment areas of training includes:
- The mandate of MoE/DSNE. The main focus is how the Ministry of Education in kenya is structured and managed as it delivers its mandate towards inclusive education.
- Knowledge on special needs and disabilities. This will involve imparting knowledge on types of disabilities as defined in the laws and policies.The idea is to ensure that the wide range of difficulties is appreciated.
- introduced to the concept of inclusive education and the policy backing of inclusive education. benefits of inclusive education to the school, children, families, government and barriers to inclusive education at the policy, family and community level
- Characteristics of a school practicing inclusive education in the lens of physical environment; social environment; teaching & learning methods and school administration/BoM
- The relationship between inclusive education and the competency based curriculum and how children with special needs in education will learn.
- Methods and ways of Supporting learners with special needs and disability in school. teachers can support learners with various disabilities and special needs including visual impairment, hearing impairment, physical impairments and intellectual impairments in a classroom set up.
- School challenges and actions to promote inclusion in schools
TRAINING/CAPACITY BUILDING ACTIVITIES:
(ii) EARC Officers (Educational Assessment and Resource Center): Strengthening their capacity for service delivery on-
- Inclusive education practices including the current international and national trends and the role of EARCs in supporting Inclusive education at the county level
- Global and Kenyan legal frameworks and plans on education for learners with disabilities including the CRPD, the SDGs, Sessional Paper No. 1 of 2019, the NESSP (2018-2022) and the Sector Policy for Learners and Trainees with Disabilities (on assessment)
- Plans in EARC administration including supervision and reporting relationship in EARC, funding of EARCs, challenges faced by EARCs and recommendations
- Global trends in assessment including international practices in assessment and the place of the National Assessment Centre in quality assessment e) Universal Design(UD) including its UD principles and how UD can be practiced for inclusive education
- Data management including challenges in data management and the best approaches to managing assessment data
PARTICIPATORY ACTIVITIES IN DEVELOPMENT OF POLICIES AND LAWS : Inclusive Education
- As UDPK we participate in activities geared towards development of Legislation or policies that deal with education and specifically inclusive education .In collaboration with other stakeholders,both duty bearers and right holders,we were able to contribute majorly in development of education sector policy for learners and trainees with disabilities.
- Participation in various meetings and forums engaged in drafting of reccomedation in departmental or country level to ensure such policy or guideline dealing with education takes care of the inclusion of persons with disabilities .