As the federal Organization for Disabled Persons Organization the UDPK has over 200 Disabled Persons Organization Membership.These Groups forming parts of grassroots networks,Draws their membership from Persons with Disabilities(PWDs).UDPK works to capacity build them and strengthen their capacity to perform self advocacy for their rights and also ensure they are actively involved in advocacy for disability issues at county and national level.
- To increase authenticity and capacities of DPOs and persons with disabilities to effectively represent and advocate for their rights at national and county levels
- Institutional strengthening of DPOs to meet their mandate of advocating and demanding for their right and services from service providers
- To strengthen the capacity of DPOs to effectively monitor the rights of PWDs
To increase authenticity and capacities of DPOs and persons with disabilities to effectively represent and advocate for their rights at national and county levels
To achieve this objective and ensure ththe DPOs are at good position to advocate for their rights at all levels.UDPK does training majorly on:
- Advocacy-This will include arming the DPOs with knowledge and skills on how to do effective advocacy.Formulation of advocacy strategies and targeting area for advocacy.also linking advocacy with larger objectives and goals.
- Human Rights-DPOs are trained on Disability and human rights basing on various instruments such as UNCRPD,Disability Act,Human Rights Charter among others.
- Monitoring,Evaluation,Accountability and learning(MEAL)-This training ensures DPOs are in position to monitor implementation of specific guidelines,laws,policies,Evaluate their effectiveness and monitor the implmentation process,Learning best practices and improving on the approaches.
Institutional strengthening of DPOs to meet their mandate of advocating and demanding for their right and services from service providers
To achieve this objective and ensure the DPOs can effectively engage national and county government as they advocate for their rights and push the disability agenda forward.UDPK does training majorly on:
- Governance-This equips the DPOs with know-how on how the Institutional organization of County and national governments and understand how the government operates.This enables the DPOs to know which process goes where and the steps after that.
- Development of internal controls-this training includes training the DPOs on how to develop operational documents that are necessary in the organizations as they deal with advocacy issues.
To strengthen the capacity of DPOs to effectively monitor the rights of PWDs
The effective implementation of Various Disability Rights instruments,Depends on Continious monitoring and reporting of the progress of implementation.DPOs play key role in this endeavour.UDPK equips the DPOs with Skills on several areas on this end,including
- Rights monitoring and Reporting-this ensures that the DPOs are in position to monitor the progress of implementation of disability Rights Laws and policies.Also the ways to do the reporting and best practices
- Social Accountability skills training and advocacy-This will ensure DPOs have the necessary knowledge to engage meaningfully on advancing the disability agenda